Friday, December 01, 2006

The Best Thing About Christmas Cards

Do you know what the best thing about Christmas cards is? It's hearing from long-time friends that you love but don't get around to keeping in touch with except with holiday cards. I sent a newsletter out with my cards to the people I don't talk to on a regular basis and told them about my trip. Since I mailed them out I've received the nicest messages from old friends.

First I heard from my cousin Becky via a comment on the blog. We haven't seen each other nearly enough over the years and it was good to read her kind words. Then I got an unexpected phone call from June, a dear friend I worked with at the Statehouse. We had a lovely chat! To top it off, I was completely surprised yesterday afternoon when a florist delivery man walked in with a beautiful planter complete with purple bow and flowers for me from my college roommate Nancy. It was accompanied by a card with a heart-felt sentiment that really touched me. Thank you all.

My travel buddy Lyndsey also posted a message for me on the blog. I'm going to have dinner with her and her family early next week so we can talk, coordinate what we're taking with us and get even more excited about our trip!

No comments: