Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I'm Here!!!

Yes, I'm really here and it's wonderful! Sorry I haven't gotten to the blog before now but we've been really busy. The first few days were spent at the orphanage at Sergiev Posad and the conditions were pretty primitive (like no seats on the toilets the first night and sleeping seven to a room). But the kids were wonderful. It was sad, too; these kids all have some kind of neurological or psychological disorder and no one wants them. We got to spend one afternoon on the second floor with the serious cases - I fell in love with Pasha. I was sitting on the floor by the wall and he crawled over beside me and I spent at least half an hour rubbing his back and singing "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and "Jesus Loves Me" to him. He may not have understood the words but at that moment my hands were Jesus' hands to him. Later we put on Santa hats and delivered all the presents you helped me gather to the 250 orphans at Sergiev. I wish you could have seen their faces. We weren't allowed to take many pictures but I can't wait to share what I have with you.

After we came in to Moscow and checked into the Hotel Ismailovo we had dinner at the Log Cabin Restaurant across the street. I like Russian food! What we had at the orphanage and what we've had so far in Moscow would be at home on most W.Va. tables. Lots of potatoes, weiners/sausages, beef kabobs, pork chops and lots of breads and jams. Of course, we all enjoyed Patio Pizza on Red Square! We drink tea with every meal and yes, there is a lot of toasting. I haven't tried any vodka yet but I have toasted with a little bit of wine.

Yesterday we took a walking tour of Red Square. I have pictures of me in front of St. Basil's Cathedral and Lenin's Tomb. We walked through the Gum Department Store and the Underground Mall (all very expensive). Last night we shopped on Arbot Street and we'll get to the Ismailovo Market later this week.

Today we traveled about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Moscow to the town of Klim where we visited a senior citizen's nursing home and an orphanage. I'm part of a puppet show that we gave at Sergiev Posad and at both places today. I think the seniors enjoyed it more than the kids! The kids today put on a Christmas program for us that was wonderful - I have great pictures. The big secular celebration here with presents and parties is New Year's. Orthodox Christmas is more serious and religious; we'll go to church on Christmas Eve. The phrase for "Happy New Year!" is "S'lovem Godom!". (That's what it sounds like, anyhow!)

I'm getting along well with my little bit of Russian. "Please" and "Thank You" with a smile goes a long way in getting along. Most of the hotel folks speak English and we always have a translator with us when we go out.

If I have time I'll try to get back on another day and keep you posted, but Lyndsey and I are having a great time and we're planning on coming back next year! Keep us in your prayers!

Love to all,
Margie

2 comments:

Konstantin Zaytsev said...

Margie,
"S'lovem Godom!" is wrong for "S novym godom!"

Margie said...

Thanks for the correction! I was just learning how to say it when I wrote that and I'm still FAR from being an expert in the Russian language. Also, I was writing that entry from the internet cafe at the hotel and there were a lot of distractions. I really enjoyed my stay at Sergiev Posad and I look forward to visiting again next Christmas.