Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Odds and Ends



I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while - life has been busy!

This past Friday night Central UMC held a fund-raising spaghetti dinner to go along with the City of Charleston's "Doo Wop Car Rally" celebrating the classic cars of the '50s and '60s. The rough numbers are that we served close to 400 dinners (about 75 pounds of spaghetti with meatballs, salad, bread and dessert) and made at least $1000 profit. I call that a success but boy, it was a lot of work! I was in charge of the drive-thru out in the parking lot working with six young men from Charleston Catholic High School who were earning community service credits by working the dinner with us. They were a hoot to work with - I had the best job of the day!

The other event that is taking a lot of my time right now is being on the Team for the upcoming Women's Walk to Emmaus. I'm the Musical Director for the weekend and we meet once a week for about six weeks before the Walk to prepare. (If you're not familiar with the Walk to Emmaus check out the website: http://www.upperroom.org/emmaus .)
It's a wonderful experience but it takes a lot of preparation time. This will be the third time I've been on a Team since my own Walk.

I'm starting to get some donations of glove and hats for the Russian Orphans' Christmas packages. They are so cute! I've gotten a couple bottles of nail polish, too; I wonder how "Wild and Crazy" colors translate into Russian?!?

No comments: