Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Decision

I've been thinking about going to Russia with the United Methodist Volunteers in Mission for the last couple of years. I've been interested in Russian history and culture for some time and have read quite a bit about the Romanov Dynasty and current conditions in the Russian Federation. When I attended the West Virginia Annual Conference and walked through the Ministry Fair I would see the display for the Volunteers in Mission and stop to talk with Tom Clark and buy another set of nesting dolls (matrioshka?). I've joked that this was my kind of mission trip - shopping, decorating for a party and playing with kids. The serious side is that these are children who desperately need to be loved. I know that we have many needy children in this country but I believe that we have the resources here to care for them if we will. The same can't necessarily be said of conditions today in Russia.

Anyhow, as much as I felt the call it just didn't seem like the right time till this year. Something clicked at this year's Conference and after much thought and especially much prayer I decided to go for it. I've talked about it with my pastor and with the Missions chairperson at my church and they have been very supportive. I'm very excited and have started the process for getting my passport and learning what I will need to do to get ready to go in December. I decided to publish this blog to keep my friends up to date on my progress and to share the joy and excitement of this adventure in mission to serve God and to expand my horizons. More to come!

No comments: